11 Ways to Make Certain That Nothing Much Will Ever Change and We Keep Perpetuating a World that is Not Working and Ultimately Doomed:
1. Don’t think for yourself. Let others do the thinking for you.
2. Don’t question things. Assume that the way things are is more or less the way it’s just always going to be.
3. Okay, maybe question a few things… at least find a bandwagon or two to jump on… but just don’t look too far into yourself and question anything that would challenge or threaten your own sacred cows.
4. Disagree and argue with others as much as possible. Make it your job to find something wrong and lacking in about everything. Find something… anything… to be right about. In all things, assert your superiority.
5. Don’t listen to your deep feelings. When you have those moments when those homecoming-type sensations rise up in you, and what seems most real is love, harmony and togetherness, squash it! Pass it off quickly as some flighty, sentimental, feel-good nonsense. Return to your head as quickly as possible and resume thinking all that stuff that has been programmed into your head.
6. Okay, let’s say you mess up and allow yourself to actually feel those deep feelings, then at least vow never to express them. Shut them up. Stuff them back inside. Speak them? Are you crazy? Who says that stuff??? What would people think? Send those deep feelings packing and return to your regularly scheduled and safe life.
7. Live a concept-laden life. Have lots of wonderful and beautiful concepts and quotes about the way the world could be. Pontificate often about these concepts. But whatever you do, don’t take any concrete or direct actions to birth that world into reality. You may notice that the world’s division, hatred, injustice, turmoil, and suffering doesn’t quite line up with your beautiful concepts but assume that’s something for others to figure out and return to the comfort of your nice-sounding concepts.
8. Accept your inadequacy and powerlessness. Say to yourself, “I’m only one person.” Run through your mind all the ways you feel you are lacking and use it as a rationale for concluding that you can’t really make any difference.
9. Don’t buck the system. So you’ve had a few thoughts about courageously stepping out and living from those deep feelings and an entirely different way of being. Haha! Seriously? Who do you think you are? If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. What, you’re just gonna stop doing the way everyone else does anymore? Good luck!
10. Write off all this inner anarchy crap. Nothing is ever really going to change. Live your own life the best you can and don’t worry about the rest. One day you’ll die and then that’s it and it’s all over.
11. Forget you ever read this post.
Graffiti by Banksy