What if in 2013 you became… YOU

being me

You think you know yourself. But what if you are really only accessing 40%, 25%, 5% of who you are? What if there is an entire unknown and unexplored universe inside you… that is you? How can you be still and know God when you cannot be still and know yourself? The most sacred purpose of your life is being yourself! That’s God’s gift to you. That’s your gift to the world. What would life be like for you if you could access, and give expression to all of who you are? And what if you started to actually like this person… you, and discovered a whole new love-relationship with yourself? There are all kinds of things to unlearn and new possibilities to try on when it comes to the journey of being you. Starting in January, I want to facilitate a 6-week cohort group that enters into a dialogue and process that explores all of above. It would involve a weekly 60-minute individual call, and a dedicated group Facebook Page for ongoing interaction. If this would be worth $50 a week for you, send me an email and let me know. What if your New Year’s Resolution for 2013 was… the year you finally became… you!

If this is something that interests you, you can contact me on Facebook or my regular email: nobody.jimpalmer@gmail.com

1. obie ephyhm says:

while i don’t really care about the money, i’m game – particularly since this is a journey i’ve been on for many years. however, this re-thinking or, as you called, ‘to unlearn’ is more difficult than most imagine. to do this with the hope of something very positive requires the ability to question *everything* including the ideas that you’ve already tipped toward (e.g. “The most sacred purpose of your life is being yourself” is a highly questionable assertion.

questioning . . . honest questioning, is but the easy beginning. the real work is to take *all* the time necessary to rebuild a cohesive philosophy. doing that requires working through some very dark and lonely places in order to come to true light (assuming one ever reaches such a state because i haven’t . . .).

i applaud that you want to free yourself from the dominant religious conceptions of the day — but that does no good if you simply replace it with tepid aphorisms with no more basis than trying to believe some ancient texts tell us anything meaningful about how to live today. it takes real work to do this.

are you really up for that?

2. Richard Boyer says:

I am retired educator for handicap person with no retirement plan So i am living in a very small budget. What I can offer you his this… I am also a musician and a composer of original instrumental music (not new age haha) more like smooth jazz and Its not to bad hahaha. Now if we can make a arrangement some how ????? Maybe selling my CD and keeping part of the profit .Of course you will have to listen to my music, and if you don’t like it NO PROBLEM I will always love what you are writing on the FB wall. My CD will be finish in a couple of months. 13 original composition. SORRY that’ s all I can offer you

3. Sarita Baker-Brown says:

@obie ephynm, i have never found Jim Palmer’s quotes to be ‘tepid aphorisms’ and i have been at this for quite some time before i met him.. The most sacred purpose in life is being yourself holds if you believe that each person has a gift, a contribution and each person is a necessary part of the divine being.. i happen to believe this.

Since i met Jim and Heather, I been challenged to the depths of my being with their honesty and ability to look deeper. I personally think its a disease of Western civilisation to think that you can develop a ‘cohesive philosophy’ because life is simply not that cohesive. There is a lot of sorting through or sometimes simply living through some dark and lonely places, yes, but that does not mean we have to do it alone.. you can delve deeply into the many different strands of what world faiths and philosophies have to say to us, examine what they say to YOU, share it, listen to other people’s paths. etc. you can share the things that Spirit has spoken to you yourself. ( why do we think that the ancients were any different from us in their ability to receive revelation and wisdom? ) finding a place to hear and be heard is a very very big deal. Thanks, Jim. .

4. Sarita for LaCasaCorazon says:

• obie ephyhm says:

@sarita . . . when i find something that actually represents intelligent skeptical inquiry instead of tepid aphorisms, i’ll drop you a note. until then, jim can chose to take a position or not, you are not his mouth piece. and even if you were, i wouldn’t accept it as being valid.

it’s great that you find yourself ‘challenged’. i find most of this to be the same old tired re-hash of mish-moshed religious forms. trying to hang on to bits of ‘safe’ religious bits (like the bible as some authoritative or even mildly informative source) stuff so one doesn’t have to go off into the real forest to find out where the devils really are (and i’m not going to, for a moment, assume that you will be able to follow that literary reference). so, if you’re challenged by this, you’ve just barely begun..

see, you didn’t even begin to understand what i wrote (suggestion, try reading it again — without the chip on your shoulder) . . . which, by the way, wasn’t intend for you at all but was a response to jim. and i’ve noticed that jim seldom responds to his own postings which is making me increasingly suspicious that this is just another religious shell game. and when the crying herds of hyena followers come yelping to his ‘defense’ especially when nothing particularly offensive was opined, i become doubly so.

• Lea says:

@obie I’m not going to defend Jim. However I will say you are a very rude individual. It’s a pity people like you feel they have to contribute.

5. Sarita for LaCasaCorazon says:

@obie: Wow. I am .. slightly taken aback at the vitriol here… and since this is an open forum and we are accustomed to answering and dialogueing with each other, I can assume that you intended your comments to be for Jim’s eyes only or else you would not have posted them in a public forum.. And you are not the only one who reads Chesterton or Dostoevsky.. Those devils are not the only devils in the forest… challenges are not solely intellectual… . Some challenges are emotional.

I have two degrees in philosophy of religion from the University of London and I am really tired of people who think that all that matters in our growth or our battles ‘the real devils’ are solely ideological. I was not defending Jim- his compassion and honesty need no defending in my opinion. However, by implication, you are being kind of condescending to those of us who are working through, with Jim and each other what we feel, WHAT WE FEEL about the things we have been taught and believed and then dis-believed.

And for some folks, who are only just beginning to question or to challenge or to feel something beyond what they have been programmed by church or society to believe, this is a beginning point. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone needs support along the way.
    I understood exactly what you said and I responded exactly to it. I simply don’t agree with you. As a matter of course, we tend to be kind to each other on here. We disagree and we discuss and we think it through, but we are not insulting to each other nor are we rude. Your tone is that of a bully. And bullies cannot risk being kind or respectful to people who don’t agree with them because .. ? I have never understood that.

What harm does it do you if we find solace or challenge or companionship here?

None. if you don’t like it, don’t read it. Jim doesn’t defend himself most likely because he’s a bigger person than most and feels no need to.
    We are in this to share and to honestly questions, not to play intellectual games. Well, I am, anyway. Be kind, listen to not only what Jim is sharing but what the rest of us are feeling and caring about. If you want to talk about the details of what you mean without being mean- spirited( in the guise of being intellectually superior) there is no one here who would not listen to you.

6. kim says:

Bullies cannot risk being kind or respectful because they are terrified. Not only of being seen by others, but, most especially, of being seen by themselves. They are afraid they are not worthy of love. Sadly, their anger and arrogance is as much a guard as it is a prison. May they recognize the truth of their being, which is the very love they seek, and be freed.

• kim says:

I made my point quite clearly. Are you not playing your own game, here, obie? Being a bully has nothing to do with disagreement, which is a healthy attribute in an inquiring human being. As is listening. I shall try to be more clear since my first statement did not satisfy. A bully is someone who feels an innate sense of unworthiness. I believe a bully’s action connotes an insecurity that is masked by hubris. I have no problem engaging you in debate, nor am I put off by disagreement, but I am not interested in a joust of mental masturbation. Did that satisfy, or do you still have an inquiry into my subjective definition of a bully?

7. Lea Violeta Pettett says:

@obie: What a sad, angry person you are. I feel sorry for you. I hope that someday you really do find the truth so you can have some peace.

8. Paulette says:

Jim, I would love to do this but the thought of talking with you on the phone it scared the heck out of me. Your books and daily posts are so thought provoking and deeply uprooting for me, I think I would cry the whole time I am on the phone. I am still in the process of taking the pebble out of my shoe and I am not in a place where I can express any thoughts or opinions. Thank you

9. Tanya Rowland Kudla says:

Jim: What would this look like? What would be the format? – or is it customized per individual needs? I sort of wish I could experience a trial run of some kind before I commit. I guess I’m lost on the concept. Can you explain more?

10. Thre Masden says:

Jim if you have another one of these in the future please let me know,i have so many unanswered questions,i would not know where to begin….Honestly I wish I could find a therapist that had your views and topics…they so hit home…Thank you

11. jimpalmer1 says:

Here’s some more information about the Becoming You Cohort Group:

The work and play we will be doing together is based on the following ideas:

1. You are a human expression of the image of God, which means there is an entire world of goodness, beauty, power, and wonder that is you, waiting to be born, expressed and lived.

2. This is God’s gift to you. This is your gift to the world. This is your sacred calling and source of joy – becoming and being you.

3. The most fundamental way your were made in the image of God is that you were made as a creator. The journey to yourself is not so much “finding you” as if “you” are an object that has been misplaced or buried in the sand. There are some raw materials to who you uniquely are with which to create the person you want to be, which is a person who resonates most deeply with your desire for self-actualization and freedom. In other words, becoming you is not a search for an already-defined and fixed you, but it’s getting in touch with who you most deeply know and feel you want and were meant to be.

4. You can have a mental picture of your dream home, but it’s going to be necessary to add other ingredients to the equation to make it reality – an architect and an entire team of builders with the tools and expertize to construct your home. In the same way, even with a mental picture of who want to be, other ingredients are necessary. You need a set of tools to create and express that person, and others involved in that process with you. If you could have done all this on your own you would have by now. We need each other. We have blind spots we cant see on our own.

5. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. Becoming you is not easy for all sorts of reasons unique to you. You have a lifetime of conditioning that works against the process of healthy personal growth, evolution, and self-actualization. You may be operating with a whole set of premises about your life or a story about who you are that sabotages your quest of becoming and being you at every turn. So it’s critical to identify what exactly is holding you back.

6. The Becoming You Cohort Group is designed to address each of these areas: (a) imagining, envisioning, discovering, creating the “you” that resonates most deeply inside; (b) equipping you with tools to be the creator of this “you”; (c) identifying and disappearing the obstacles that stand in your way; (d) placing the process in community so we are not going it alone.

Practically speaking this means:

1. Having a weekly one-on-one phone or Skype call with myself
    2. Identifying a cohort partner to stay connected with through the process
    3. Connecting on a private/dedicated Becoming You Facebook Group Page to share and process our experience and journey with each other, and learn together.
    4. Doing the personal work we identify together for you and your journey of becoming you.

The cost for the 6-week process is $50 a week. The simplest way to do this would be through PayPal. I have a few assignments for each cohort member before we start our one-on-one calls so we can get hit the ground running on the calls.

Let me know if you plan on participating in the group. You can officially register by making the first $50 PayPal payment, which you can access on PayPal through the emails address: religionfreebibleproject@gmail.com

The plan is to start the one-on-one calls the week of Jan 21, but as mentioned, there will be some preliminary work to do before the calls. Let me know what questions you might have.

12. traci says: