Consider for a moment that happiness, well-being, and freedom is not dependent upon any set of conditions or circumstances but it is a choice available in every moment. Holocaust survivor. Viktor Frankl, wrote, “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” Consider that life is not something that happens TO you but that it’s a dance – what shows up in the moment, and what you do with what shows up. In other words, you are creating your experience of life through what you choose in that “space” Frankl referred to. Decide that you are going to fully participate in your life. What that could mean is:
1. Be tuned into and attentive to what is happening in the present moment, and simply respond as the situation requires or as you are led.
2. Take an action in the present moment that supports or is an expression of the intentions you have about the life you want to live.
3. Consider every moment an opportunity to choose happiness, well-being, and freedom.
4. When a moment comes when you become aware that you have not been doing the above, consider even that moment a gift of awareness.
5. Sometimes participating in your life is an opportunity to care for yourself, or to allow others to care for you – to receive the encouragement, support, love, compassion, kindness, generosity, and understanding of others.
You don’t have to wait for all the conditions and circumstances in your life to line up in such a way in order for you to know happiness, well-being, and freedom. Think of it not as something “that happens” but as something you choose.