People often use the phrase, “God is in control.”

1044863_381319898640991_1414135599_n

People often use the phrase, “God is in control.” It’s a way we soothe ourselves when the randomness of life seems cruel and painful. We like the idea that God has a plan and is continuously weaving together the circumstances of our lives to achieve it.

But perhaps consider it this way. Life is never random because life is not what happens to you, but is what you create out of what shows up in each moment. In other words, God is “in control,” not because God is pulling all those strings in the background to make everything work out one way or another, but God is “in control” because God endowed us with the capacity to create our experience of life.

1. Jon Acuna Miller says:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. i understand it is comforting for some people to think that they have no responsibility in taking control of their lives or that God is working them like puppets. But that’s not the God I know and it isn’t the God I meet in the gospel. The God I know created children, not puppets.

2. Fran Board says:

Makes sense to me.

3. James Labrecque says:

If God isn’t in control stop the ride I’m getting off

4. kim6erly says:

Well said.

5. Jan says:

This is what I believe too. So many people talk as if God is pulling strings to make things happen or not happen. This can lead to people feeling they do not have to take responsibility for their choices in life.

6. Susan P says:

You have busted so many of the myths that ruled my growing up years. It always frustrated me to hear pious platitudes that sounded like a violin slightly out of tune. This is a point of view that I can understand and that makes sense.

7. Brian P. says:

Things that explain everything, also explain nothing. That God is separate from me is an arbitrary distinction. And that both of us are separate from other circumstance is yet another.