Questions worth asking

1467247_10151788337685592_12039937_n

People often feel this angst about whether or not their beliefs about God are correct. Perhaps some better questions would be:

Do my beliefs bring peace?
Are my beliefs a source of joy and freedom?
Do my beliefs inspire kindness and compassion?
Do my beliefs dispel fear?
Are my beliefs empowering my full self-expression?
Do my beliefs motivate love for all people and living things?

1. Boyd Martin says:

Do my beliefs bring peace? – Jesus’ beliefs got Him killed…. So did Paul’s and Peter’s and countless thousands of other martyrs.

Are my beliefs a source of joy and freedom? – A true biblical worldview will make us slaves to Christ. Constantly giving up freedom to do what our flesh desires and battling to not do what I want to do.

Do my beliefs inspire kindness and compassion? -Jesus’ beliefs inspired the masses to desire to take His life. To this day a true biblical worldview will get you killed in many places, imprisoned in even more places and hated everywhere.

Do my beliefs dispel fear? – Presented to a non-Christian a true biblical worldview will inspire deep sorrow and conviction and a fear of a holy God who will judge all.

Are my beliefs empowering my full self-expression? – Jesus Christ first sought to express the will of the Father of His own will. Self Expression was not on Jesus’ list of things to do.

Do my beliefs motivate love for all people and living things? – A true Christian/ biblical worldview reveals that, “All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God? A sinner saved by grace will be motivated to love largely knowing that the consequence for all people who do not accept the atoning sacrifice of Christ will be separated forever from God on judgment day and cast into a lake of fire. There is all the reason to love I need. If I love for any thing in addition to that it ok. But it must start with the aforementioned.

In bitterness many will turn their backs on God and create their own god. To appease there own pain. By it many will become defiled.

• jimpalmer1 says:

My comments in bold italics.

Jesus spoke of a peace that is not of this world. True peace is not contingent upon one’s circumstances.

Jesus said that knowing the truth sets you free.

Jesus taught that compassion and love are what distinguishes an authentic disciple.

Jesus said don’t hide your light under a basket.

Jesus’s title of choice was Son of Man, a title of solidarity with all of humankind. Jesus said, I am the truth,” demonstrating God and humankind as one.

Every human being was created out of the image, likeness, and being of God, and declared as “good.”

Boyd, you might want to read the Bible a little more closely because you seem to be missing most of its message.

2. Adéle says:

“There is no fear in love. Jesus offered unconditional friendship to the most notorious “sinners” of his day to demonstrate the heart and love of God.”

This caught my eye, made me read it again and again!!
    We serve a great God!

3. Beth says:

For Boyd: if memory serves, the most common command of the New Testament, if not the entirety of scripture, is “Fear not.” Holy awe or reverence and the translation we use of ‘fear’ are really not the same thing at all, or at least so I understand.

In God’s own peace does our peace repose – and with God taking residence with us, what, exactly, is there to fear?

4. markrandallpixley says:

I’ve had quite enough of a biblical worldview…what I want now is a As-God’s-worldview…and I chose not to say Godly because it is to biblical…and man oh man why do we never finish that verse in Romans…”being justified freely”…it’s like we accept the diagnosis is accurate but don’t want to say anything about the cure…all have sinned…yes but all have died as well…sheesh…can we just stop it?

5. grace2bme says:

God is love.. perfect love casts out ALL fear bc fear has to do with punishment… there is now NO condemnation to those who are in Christ … we are all “in Christ” some just havent awakened yet to this truth….grafe2bme@gmail.com

6. Steven Allen Redman says:

Omg Jim, you rock! I so love your boldness to teach real Christ like love, if you keep this up I am going to be forced to build a church after you….lol…thanks for your encouragement..you speak for so many of us.

7. angels says:

boyd, you have a view of god that is very tight and closed. he does not tolerate us. he died for the love of us.he came back for his own and his motivation was love and the joy set before him. he endured the hardships for the sake of love. he wants to restore all things. he is tipping everything to our favor and benefit he can. the things you said are not false, they are conjecture. they are perspective, and that is hard to make right or wrong. god is love , god is truth. truth is love. bless you brother.