Sorting out what Jesus meant – two different dimensions

Jesus said, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.” You’re missing it if you think that Jesus is saying something about how he is divine and you are just human. That’s not it. Time and time again, Jesus points out that there are two different dimensions to operate in. One dimension keeps us tied down to the mindset, understanding and reasoning of the world. Religion falls into this category. It’s the heady/mental religious/worldly dimension. I wrote a lot about this dimension in Notes from (Over) the Edge. It’s a dimension characterized by dualism, and we have created a false God to rule over it. What Jesus was about has nothing to do with any of that mess. There is also a “heavenly” dimension. We have access to that dimension in and through the life-giving Spirit within us. You do not access this dimension in your head or through religious thinking. Instead, you access it very naturally through your deepest feelings. In involves turning toward what is real inside you. It rises up from a place deeper than your everyday thoughts and emotions. The “Kingdom of God” that Jesus spoke of is inside us, and we birth it out of ourselves and into the world when we speak directly from that “heavenly” dimension that is within us.

1. JustJohn says:

Reblogged this on JustJohn and commented:
    short, sweet, and without bs.

2. Jesse says:

Your second dimension “heavenly” continues using the familiar words of religion. I find this disconcerting because if I wanted to shed something I would drop the familiarity of that which I shed. Why wouldn’t deepest self be sufficient? Why I feel this way is, on my journey and studying other cultures scriptures and writings I learned a different vocabulary to help me accept the change. This enabled me to transition my references easier. Another point, if your points of reference are not changed you have to keep correcting yourself rather than understanding the new references as part of the changed you.

• jimpalmer1 says:

Jesse, I think sometimes when I am referring to Jesus, I am prone to use some of the terminology or concepts people are familiar with or hold sacred, and encourage the possibility of seeing a bit differently or casting it in a different light.

3. Jesse says:

That’s cool. I guess I just needed to raise the subject. Will not be an issue henceforth.

• jimpalmer1 says:

You make a great point, Jesse. I think you’re right. Shedding the religious mindset includes the religious jargon that we wrap around our discoveries. I’m with you totally. I was just saying that I used the language I did in this post for the reason I stated. I’m not saying that was a good choice… it may have not been. I appreciate your thoughts!